The Payroll and Benefits Specialist is responsible for all payroll functions including, but not limited to, bi-weekly and semi-monthly payroll processing, system administration, taxes, and bonus payments.
This position is also responsible for directing the day-to-day operations and planning of the group benefits programs (including group health, dental, vision, short and long term disability, workers compensation, life insurance, accident plan, flexible spending plan and 401(k) retirement plan). Benefit functions include research of plan design, value, management of the renewal process and open enrollment, negotiation with vendors and analyzing costs and overall plan design. Serves as primary contact for benefit plan and payroll vendors, brokers and third-party administrators.
Major Duties & Responsibilities:
- Ensure payroll is processed accurately for EHI employees.
- Evaluates and revises processes to reduce costs and increase efficiency.
- Ensures proper distribution of assignments – plans, schedules and directs work loads.
- Ensures compliance with government regulations (including the ACA).
- Ensures timeliness and accuracy of required government filings.
- Develops long-range objectives regarding benefit and wellness programs.
- Educate associates on self-service tools applicable to both benefits and payroll.
- Manage the entire open enrollment process including carrier renewals, payroll contributions, communication strategy & carrier/data feeds
- Administer leaves of absences (STD/LTD/FMLA/WC).
- Manage the design and development of tools to assist associates in benefits selection
- Communicates to Director of HR about upcoming trends.
Required Skills & Experience:
- Strong attention to detail.
- Strong analytical skills and some knowledge of statistical analysis.
- Up to date knowledge of relevant federal and state regulations and legislation required
- Knowledge of national benefits trends.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and proficient with use of computer and software applications.
- Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and in group settings to customers, clients, and other employees of the organization.
- Solid self-motivated work ethic and ability to work well in team environment
Preferred Skills, Experience & Education:
- Certified Payroll Professional (CPP) preferred
- Ability to work extended hours based on business needs.
- On occasion, ability to travel to attend business meetings, meet with outside agencies, vendors, clients and personnel.
Payroll Administration: 2 years
Benefits Administration: 2 years